Monday, September 13, 2010

Muffins

Muffins are probably my favorite of the baked goods. They're light and fluffy, sweet (most of the time) and can be packed with all sorts of good stuff. Today I share my two favorite muffin recipes.

I wish I could get my hands on more zucchini so I could make these first ones more often. I have been leaving my car unlocked, hoping someone will fill it with zucchini, but so far, no luck...

Apple Zucchini Muffins
1.5 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup grated zucchini
1 small apple, grated

Mix the dry stuff, mix in the wet stuff, fold in the zucchini and apple, spoon into muffin cups and bake for 20-22 minutes at 350. To make them extra delectable, dip the tops of the still warm muffins in melted butter and sugar.

I have also made these with part whole wheat flour and applesauce in place of some of the oil, but they just weren't the same. Modify at your pleasure (just please don't leave me comments telling me all your modifications. I like them the way they are).


Next up, my healthy muffin recipe. I have no hesitation eating these for breakfast (disclaimer: I have no hesitation eating almost anything for breakfast), but I actually feel good eating these for breakfast.

Banana Blueberry Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon milk
1 cup blueberries

To give credit where credit is due, I did not come up with this recipe. I found it somewhere on the World Wide Web. I couldn't tell you where because I wrote the above on a post-it note with these instructions: 375. 25 min. I guess that's not really giving credit, but simply claiming that this recipe is not the product of my own genius.

I would suggest, however, that you start by creaming the butter and sugars, then add the eggs, milk, vanilla and mashed bananas, then add in all the dry ingredients and mix well, and lastly fold in the blueberries.


Let me know when you make either of these. I'll be over for muffins and cold milk!

What kind of muffins are your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. Baked apple donuts. Yum. And now I know what to do with that big yellow squash I brought back from Wisconsin. I didn't know I was supposed to use it like zucchini. I thought is was the kind of squash you bake. but that didn't turn out so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also enjoy kingarthurflour.com.

    ReplyDelete