Friday, September 28, 2012

Lentil Rice Casserole

I really like lentils. They're probably my favorite legume. They are versatile, quick cooking, and like most beans, they're inexpensive. One of my favorite lentil recipes is one I got from a dinner group member while I was at BYU. So thanks LaRisa, wherever you are now.

Here is the original recipe:

Lentil Rice Casserole

3 c water
3/4 c lentils
1/2 c brown rice
3/4 c chopped onion
1/2 t basil
1/4 t oregano
1/4 t thyme
1/4 t garlic powder
1 T chicken stock
Shredded cheese for garnish

Mix together and bake for 2 hours or cook in slow cooker for a few hours. Top with cheese.

That recipe is good, but I use the lentil/rice mix as a meat substitute for tacos, so here is my variation:

3 c water
3/4 c lentils
1/2 c brown rice
1/4 c chopped onion or 1/4 t onion powder
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t oregano
1/4 t garlic
1 t salt
1 t pepper
optional: 1 can regular diced tomatoes or Rotel

Mix everything but salt and tomatoes in slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. Add salt and tomatoes and cook on low until ready to serve. Depending on your slow cooker, you may need to add water to keep it from burning.

I serve this in tortillas with shredded cheese and sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are all so thrifty and health conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I want to be a guest blogger about cheap meals.

    ReplyDelete