Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baked Oatmeal

This recipe makes me look forward to eating oatmeal for breakfast, rather than dreading my bowl of slop. It is like eating an oatmeal raisin cookie for breakfast and has become a family favorite. The original recipe is from Allrecipes, but I have changed it enough that I'll just post what I do.

3 cups rolled oats
1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup applesauce  (or use all butter or all applesauce, or even pumpkin)
2 t vanilla
3/4 cup raisins (you could switch these up with any dried fruit or even chocolate chips)

Mix the dry ingredients, then add in the mixed wet ingredients and raisins, plop it all into a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds good, but 40 minutes is a long time for us to wait for breakfast. Have you ever mixed it up the night before, or cooked it the night before and reheated it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not but it would certainly be worth a try. It may change the texture a bit since the liquids would soak into the oats more. It does reheat fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you'll see this, but I have been working my way through your breakfast offerings. This was a favorite at our house, too. The chocolate oatmeal was deemed gross by Brooke, but everyone else liked it. Thanks for the great breakfast recipes!

    ReplyDelete