Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Slow Cooker Quinoa Chili

Do you quinoa?  I have tried it in several different applications from salads to breakfast cereal and even this chocolate cake. I'll be honest - I don't think it's as great as all the food bloggers make it out to be. But this chili is without a doubt my favorite use of it. I like it better than the ground beef slow cooker chilis I've made, and the slow cooker makes it simple. I usually buy quinoa at Trader Joe's, which I find has the most reasonable price. Give it a try!

from Everyday Reading 

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 4-ounce can diced mild green chiles
1 cup frozen corn
2-3 cups vegetable broth (use the higher amount if your crockpot runs hot or you'll be cooking it longer than about 6 hours)
1/2 onion, diced
1 bell pepper (I used red), diced
2 teaspoons garlic powder (I used garlic salt because my beans weren't cooked in any salt)
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed throughly

Guacamole, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, etc for serving


Combine all ingredients (except the toppings, obviously) in a crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Stir to combine, salt and pepper to taste, and serve with your choice of toppings.

5 comments:

  1. I've never cooked with or even tasted quinoa, but I have no real desire to do so. Back in the day, we used to use whole wheat kernels in this same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mel also has a similar recipe using barley and chicken. I had quinoa on my mission...and it never sat well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Janet. I rarely use quinoa, but last fall I made something very similar to this. It was quinoa chili and we loved it. Quinoa cake sounds nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had this for dinner and it was actually pretty good. If I wasn't pregnant I would have eaten more, but it has been tough on th swallowing side lately.

    ReplyDelete