Saturday, June 18, 2011

Recipe Review: Chicken Stir-Fry from Dash

Once a month (I think it's the second Thursday of the month), the Dash magazine comes in the daily paper. I always browse through it and usually end up clipping some of the recipes to try. I find they are very accessible and use things I have on hand. When I saw this chicken stir-fry recipe, I knew we would be trying it. Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be hard to find (and pricey), but I had some Gold 'n Plump thighs on hand that I got at at a BOGO free sale, so we were able to try it right away. Everybody liked this! The flavor was good with the ginger and green onions. I wasn't sure about the eggs at first, but they really added to the recipe (and I even tricked Lauren into eating some). I adjusted some of the measurements, so here is the recipe and my notes.



It tastes better than it looks - I'm a lousy photographer!


3 scallions (or green onions), minced, divided
4 T soy sauce, divided
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced crosswise (I used less than this - 10 oz, I think)
1 tsp cornstarch (I skipped this - I haven't found it helpful in the past)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger (Helpful Hint: see Our Best Bites for tips on using fresh ginger)
3 T plus 1 tsp peanut oil, divided (I just used vegetable oil)
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups cooked brown rice (I cooked one cup of brown rice, which yielded about two cups)


Mix 2 scallions, 2 T soy sauce, chicken, and cornstarch (if using) in a medium bowl. Marinate 10 minutes. In a non-stick skillet, stir-fry ginger and garlic in 2 T oil for 10 seconds, then add chicken and cook 4 minutes, or until chicken seems done. Remove chicken and wipe out skillet. Then, cook the eggs in 1 t oil without stirring. When mostly set, flip and cook until set throughout. Remove to a plate or cutting board and dice. Stir fry 1 scallion in 1 T oil for 15 seconds; add rice and stir fry 7 minutes (I don't think I made it that long), then add in chicken, eggs, and 2 T soy sauce. Mix and cook until heated throughout.


I am keeping this recipe close to make again soon! Check out dashrecipes.com for more dinner ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment