Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Recipe Review: Pineapple Pork Stir Fry

We tried this stir-fry from Taste of Home for dinner tonight and I'm glad we did. Overall, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The mixture of vegetables was nice - I cut three carrots into thin strips and used a bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower, half of a small onion (what was in the fridge) and the pineapple. I liked the sauce in that it wasn't too sweet, but Preston commented on how he preferred the sweetness of the sweet and sour pork recipe below. That being said, however, the sauce was a little spicy for my taste. Next time, I will probably just add a shake of cayenne pepper. Plus, I will probably only use about half of the sauce mixture. I don't like to drown my stir-frys in sauce, although a plus is that the sauce made the brown rice I served it with more palatable (I prefer brown rice, but hubby hasn't quite converted yet). I wasn't quite sure about the soaking the pork in the cornstarch mixture - I don't know that it really did much except make a mess on the bottom of the pan. Next time, I will probably skip that step. But, there will be a next time, so I consider it a success.





Just a note on stir-frying in general. I don't always follow a recipe - sometimes I just throw whatever vegetables are around and whatever protein is around together and serve it over rice. I also don't always make a sauce - sometimes I just want to taste the food as it is, although like I mentioned earlier, if you are trying to get used to the taste of brown rice or don't like vegetables, a sauce can help add a different flavor.


So, get your woks ready and try this one soon. It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment