Friday, November 12, 2010

Dinner in a Pumpkin

 
(Picture not my own)


Have you ever had dinner in a pumpkin? I have. Twice. I first had it in college, thought it was ingenious, and vowed to make it myself someday. That day was today. It was easy, it was delicious, and the missionaries were impressed (So was the husband. The baby was not impressed). There are many variations of recipes out there. I did this:
1-1.5 lbs ground beef/turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1 can mushrooms (or fresh would be good)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups cooked rice (I used leftover brown rice - it was good)
Brown the ground beef/turkey with the onion and mushrooms, if applicable. Drain and stir in soy sauce, brown sugar, soup and cooked rice. Meantime, cut the top off a pumpkin and clean it out. Throw the hamburger junk inside, stick it in a roasting pan, and put it in the oven for an hour or so. To serve, scoop out some junk and scrape the sides to get some pumpkin in there too.
Benefit: My pumpkin was decent sized, so I had a lot of roasted pumpkin leftover, which I am mashing and putting in the freezer for pumpkin recipes all winter long. Booyah.

No comments:

Post a Comment