Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spicy Pintos

We like beans. They're healthy, cheap, and delicious. This recipe is a cinch to throw together and very versatile. Recipe is from About.com. I get a slow cooker recipe in my email every Monday from them.

1 pound dried pintos, rinsed, sorted, and soaked overnight
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups water, or to cover
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Drain soaked beans. Throw it all in the slow cooker. Cook on high 6-10 hours.

The recipe suggests you serve it with cornbread and slaw. If you're into making slaw, go for it. It can be served with pretty much anything, though. You could add ham and have a main dish (although it's a fine main dish, as is).  I usually serve it in a bowl with some shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and avocado if we have one.  It also makes very good refried beans - just mash and fry (or would you just call that fried beans, since they're only fried once?).

Let me know how you enjoy it.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily, I tried this recipe. It was a big hit! I added green chilis because, well, we live in New Mexico. I also added ham because we have some left over. It was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete